Friday, April 9, 2010

Easter and a familiar place.

It seems like there’s always a shift from foreign to comfortable that happens when you live somewhere for an extended period of time. The shift may happen overnight or it may take months or even years for a new place to start feeling more like a home, depending where you are. Here, on the ship and in Africa, it’s hard to completely reach a full shift from foreign to home because people are constantly coming and going (and the people are so often what make up a home), but in spite of this fact of Mercy Ship life, recently, I have begun to sense a bit of that shift to feeling like this place is more familiar than unfamiliar.

Last weekend was definitely one of several small catalysts for this changed perception. Easter was a beautiful day even though I was full of doubts as my family back home celebrated their usual traditions (including throwing eggs at a tree off my and aunt and uncle’s deck- weird family, I know:) Anyways, I anticipated a difficult time, spending Easter here on the ship and in Africa apart from my familiar settings at home. I was proven wrong, however, and my weekend was really a comforting and joyful time.

Easter morning began with a sunrise service on the top deck of the ship. Miraculously, a couple roommates and I managed to get out of bed at 5:30am. We sang worship songs while looking out on to the Atlantic Ocean. Afterward, I went on a really nice morning walk on the dock (I love walks), and after that we had and 8am service in our community area (the International Lounge) where everyone dressed up and we had communion and this congressman from Texas who was visiting gave a great message.

At 10am we were surprised with a huge brunch that was put on by the galley and dinning room crew. Some of them had stayed up until late hours just to prepare this for us. We had tons of fruit, eggs benedict, hashbrowns, sausage, French toast, etc, etc. It was such a blessing to be served in this way!


There was this massive fish that they were cutting up and serving and my roommate stephanie had to pull one of it's big teeth out the night before. grosss.

Little lamb cake

This was the fruit and bread table they had out for us.


Then, the highlight of my day. My roommate/friend Lyndsay and I decided we were going to go for a walk- potentially to the beach and or the craft market. Lyndsay is one of those people who is incredibly flexible and if plans change, she is eager to discover a new adventure. I love this about her and I also am very laid back about plans (in Africa, it seems like almost everyone is laid back about plans, time, etc). Love that. But anyways, Lyndsay and I ended up spontaneously going to the hospitality center which is a site off the ship ship where patients go for longer recovery after they have received surgery on the ship.

We spent the afternoon/evening playing with the kids at the Hospitality Center. It was awesome! And, luckily, I had brought my camera along and the kids were thrilled about that. One kid took my camera inside an older patient's room and took a picture of him in bed.. he looked really confused. They took probably about a billion pictures collectively. We played games and sang. It was just a really great way to spend my Easter Sunday here.

Wild kids :)







After our time at with the kiddos at the hospitality center, Lyndsay and I took Zimmy’s (these sweet motorcycle taxi’s) back to the ship. I'll have to post pictures of those later.

Yea, Easter was a great day here.


Love,

Caitlin




No comments:

Post a Comment