Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The end, marking a new beginning...

Wow, tomorrow is the last day of employment for me at the YMCA, marking a new beginning- a two and a half week count down until my departure for the Canary Islands, where I meet up with the Africa Mercy, a hospital ship that I will be working on for 61/2 months in Togo, Africa.

So many mixed emotions at this point in my journey- I've anticipated this since last February, and even more, have wanted to go on the Mercy Ships since I was probably a freshman in high school.

This is my hope- while I am truly excited and a little anxious about my trip, I want to stay connected to the present moment. I can easily get wrapped up in the big picture of my plans (I have already contemplated what it will be like when I get home! .. and I still have 7 months!). I get ahead of myself. I want to live in the moment, savoring these last weeks with my family and friends, and with the comforts of home- ie a large bed, which I will especially miss while I am away. I also want to take the journey to Africa itself one step at a time, from packing to the long plane ride in to Spain, to meeting crew members, to spending time journaling and talking to God. It's all good stuff, these little steps in the long journey.

Thank you to anyone reading this for your prayers and your support in general. I've received support that I haven't even known that I need. I feel so blessed and am really blown away by the support that John Knox Presbyterian Church Mission Team has given me. I asked for a financial donation and not only did I get that, but I am now getting commissioned in a week and a half, a flyer is being made about my trip and I am surrounded by prayers etc. Wow..

Well, tune in for more and hopefully I will be able to get some pictures up on this puppy pretty soon.

Love,

Caitlin




No comments:

Post a Comment